Mostly your pockets or to cut a bag strap.
This can involve up to four individuals working together. First you know, you are being sandwiched between two guys. This distracts you and gets them in close. Favored places to bump are crowded areas, narrow doorways/passages but can be effected in the open at the kerbside when you stop or hesitate in crossing the road. These thefts are usually targeted, ie the thief has seen an opportunity you have presented to him.
See It Coming,
- Be alert in likely black spots. State Store, Post Office, Black Market,
Tourist Street, on busses, stair ways, and bus stops.
- In smart places, be aware of people who look out of place.
- Be suspicious if someone is staring at you but don’t not be distracted.
- In the open, watch your shadow if it falls in front of you. Seeing a shadow next to yours, move to the side and if your new friend follows, then be alert. If two shadows follow, turn round and shout…. Loudly.!!!!!
Reduce the Risk
- Use only two strap bags, such as a small rucksack, using both straps.
- Do not show where you keep your stuff.
- don’t answer the phone and put it back in your pocket
- don’t take out money and put it back in your pocket.
- have money in you hand for the bus fare/shop purchase etc.
- if someone warns you about pick pockets, don’t check your pockets.
- make sure your pockets don’t bulge, expect if you want they to!!!.
- wear a body belt under your cloths for large amounts of money.
- keep money in your brae, up your sleeve or top of your socks.
If they are intent on robbing you, try to make sure they get nothing,
- Put a bulge in your trousers. Something like a packet of tissues, large kerchief or toilet roll tube. Looks like a wallet from the outside!!!
- Safety pin the pocket with valuables. No defense against a razor cutting the pocket though.
- Have your phone and keys on a cord attached to your cloths. Not your wallet, your friends might talk!!!
See It Coming,
In the open, watch your shadow if it falls in front of you. Seeing a shadow next to yours, move to the side and if your new friend follows, then be alert. If two shadows follow, turn round and shout…. Loudly.!!!!!
- Wear the rucksack in front of you with both straps in use.
- Tie the zip pulls together on the pockets.